How to write a screenplay
The intention of writing a screenplay with the hope of succeeding in the film industry is a true dream of many people with or without any technical qualification. Maybe your own experience is to go to the keyboard with your mind completely blank, and praying for inspiration when looking at the screen. While this may actually occur in some cases, usually what happens is that you will be sitting for a while without anything to write until you choose to leave work for later. The keyboard may not be the best place for inspiration. These 5 tips will help you in the task of generating ideas to write a screenplay.
- Making a list of possible topics: everything that goes around in everyday life can be an invaluable material to write a screenplay. Many times we try to concentrate in order to obtain “the great idea” that will turn on all our neurons, to write fluently a masterpiece in a few days, but still engrossed in the hunt for that “great idea” are not perceived by our eyes facts that might be a good start to write a decent screenplay, and it also allows us to make money to survive while the best-seller comes. The mother carrying the child by the hand to school, the man reading the newspaper on the subway, the bird perched on the wire with a contaminated gray sky as background, the shiny eyes of an old woman of indeterminate age who buy things on the street, etc.., anything. Should make a list of those ideas most appeal to you.
- Playing with ideas from the list: associate, put them in different contexts perhaps different countries, cultures, languages, religions and so on . Imagine these ideas in other times past or future. Include additional characters to the original idea. Reverse the sequence of events or make a new one. Remove or add key elements. Add fictitious situations, absurd, crazy, etc.
- Writing: Anything connected with ideas and games in the previous point, no matter that there is still no formal, well-structured speech, or that it is syntactically or grammatically incorrect, it is about let the unconscious express over the rational part of the brain. You are still at the stage of letting ideas flow. But this process should be as an exercise for the muscles in a gym, something that should be practiced daily, at least 30 to 60 minutes. The intention here is to stimulate the creative genius asleep inside the skull. There is no strict rule on how long it should take this routine, or whether it must be morning, afternoon or evening but what is clear is that it must be a habit. Even when an idea could be great, if it does not take written form, it will fly faster than a wisp of smoke.
- Exploring: Once you have got some ideas worthy of further, should elaborate a little on them to see if they are gold veins. In this step, you have to write two or three paragraphs about the characters and situations of interest by establishing certain harmonic relationships. The point here is to begin developing a plot that generates questions such as: What would be the behavior of certain character?, What would be his/her appearance? Who would be related with a particular character? Should there be references to historical facts?, Will there be fictitious situations? How bizarre or logical should be?, etc.
- Research: Once you select two or three possible candidates stories to write is where you must begin to use your research capabilities.
kammstar.net are our sponsors for today. Be sure to stop by and show them some love!